Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 47 / Spring Road Trip 2012

Naval Station Great Lakes Clock Tower
Today was our day to rest before we get back on the road. At least that is what I was told.
I think Dad was trying to pull a fast one because before I knew it we were at the Great Lakes Naval   Museum. What is it with him and museums? After the museum he took us on a tour of the Naval
Base.
Naval Station Great Lakes is known as the Quarterdeck of the Navy. It was opened on July 1, 1911
so it is now 100 years old. This is where everyone who joins the Navy comes for boot camp. They
also have a number of rating schools that the sailors attend. As it turns out my Grandpa Joe and my Uncle Richard both attended schools here when they were in the Navy.
We leave tomorrow and will be going to Wisconsin. Getting closer to home one state at a time.
 
Replica plane of LCDR John McCain

Just chillin



No comments:

Post a Comment